From September 29 to October 1, 2013 hundreds of leaders of all religions and personalities from the world of culture and politics, from more than 60 countries, will converge in Rome at the end of September, making our city the capital of peace and coexistence, a symbol for the whole world. This is the 27th edition of the meetings, started from the historical Prayer Day in 1986 willed by Blessed John Paul II, through which Sant’Egidio has spread the “spirit of Assisi” in many European and Mediterranean countries.
On these occasions friendship, human and cultural dialogue, and prayer are intertwined with the power of the spirit. It is very valuable that men and women of religion get together, when they make an authentic encounter made of genuine dialogue and they pray side by side. Thus, the true image of a world of peace is performed: it is the civilization of living together.
More than twenty-five years of walking in the spirit of Assisi have shown how the spiritual force establishes true peace. Religions change man from within, provoking a peaceful attitude. We believe that today we must aver, with the courage of hope, that the path of dialogue is an indication for a liveable future for all. The numerous and qualified confirmations reached so far allow to draw a rich and important event, with contributions of great significance, in a time like ours, which finally shows new signs of human and spiritual recovery.
The meeting, as it is customary, will be articulated into an Opening Plenary Assembly, which will take place on Sunday, September 29 at the Auditorium “Conciliation”. Numerous panels will be held in the three sessions of Monday, September 30 morning and afternoon, and Tuesday October 1 morning, in the historical centre of the city. The Closing Ceremony of the Meeting, after the prayer meetings of the various religions, will take place on Tuesday evening, October 1, in Piazza del Campidoglio. Then the Appeal for Peace of Rome 2013 will be proclaimed.
Via di San Gallicano 25/a – 00153 Roma
Tel. 39 06 8992234 Email email@example.com
Some of the topics of the Panels:
- God is mercy
- The crisis in the Middle East: old and new conflicts
- The courage of hope: lay people and believers in dialogue
- Sick cities and existential suburbs
- The power of reconciliation in Africa
- Peace in all lands: fifty years after “Pacem in Terris”
- “God on our side”: religious terrorism
- The value of life in weakness
- The strength of years: longevity as a blessing
- The role of religions in globalised Asia
- The courage of hope: Christians in the contemporary world
- Immigration: from welcoming to integration
- The responsibility to tell the world: information at the service of peace
- Allowing suffering to question
- Religions and violence against women
- The time of patience: martyrdom today
- Working for peace: stories of bloodshed avoided
- Christian fraternity and unity of the world
- The Future of Latin America
- The historical power of prayer
- There is a need for family
- Environment and poverty: eco-sustainability of the future