Under the Dulverton Bridge (Liverpool Main Cathedral)
04th – 23rd June 2012
09:00 – 18:00 (each day)
The exhibition, curated by Canon Val Jackson, Liverpool Cathedral Archivist, charts all the occasions when her Majesty was present in Liverpool Cathedral and will bring back happy memories for many people.
This exhibition has actually been in place since May 23rd but will continue for some weeks yet until 23rd June so there is still ample opportunity for everyone to share the experiences of the Queen’s visits to this great place.
This current exhibition is part of the Cathedral’s wider celebrations of Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee and offers a remarkable photographic reminder of the several occasions when Liverpool Cathedral has played host to Her Majesty over these many years.
Her first visit was as Princess Elizabeth in 1949 when she received the key to the Rankin Porch from a chorister before entering the Cathedral to open the latest phase of building work. The Princess and Prince Philip then inscribed their initials “E and P” in a Lover’s Knot.
In 1951 the Cathedral was proud to receive Princess Elizabeth again after she returned from Canada and gave permission for the bells of Liverpool Cathedral to be rung for the first time.
Since her Coronation the Queen has visited our Cathedral on several occasions, the most notable being for the giving of Maundy Money in 2004 (pictured right), which was our Centenary year.
It was a very special occasion for several members of the Cathedral Company who were nominated to receive the Maundy purses.
Admission to Liverpool Cathedral and the exhibition is entirely FREE.
Car parking is pay on exit.
For further enquiries about the exhibition, please contact
Canon Val Jackson
0151 702 7227