The Venerable Jean-Claude Colin SM was the Founder of the Marist Fathers – priests and brothers of the Society of Mary. This website was launched to raise awareness of his work and to assist in promoting the cause for his canonisation.
St. Peter Julian Eymard, Founder of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament, was a Marist from 1839-1856 when he left the Marist Society to establish his own Congregation of men Religious centred on the Eucharistic Mystery. As a Marist he had been Director of the Third Order of Mary.
Who is Jean-Claude Colin?
Jean-Claude Colin SM was the founder of the Marist Fathers – priests and brothers of the Society of Mary.
Born at the close of the 18th century in revolution-torn France, Jean-Claude was convinced that the Blessed Virgin wanted a group of men and women to do her work in the world at a time of turmoil and challenge.
With this inspiration he forged the way for a new family of consecrated religious and of laity in the Church – the Marist family.
Under his leadership, as founder and father, Marist missionaries would proclaim Christ’s message in Mary’s gentle spirit ‘on whatever distant shore’ to which they were sent.
Today Marists throughout the world pray that Jean-Claude Colin will become better known and revered. As his Cause for Beatification is being introduced, they seek graces through his intercession for themselves and the people they serve.
Congregación del Santísimo Sacramento
Provincia de la Inmaculada Virgen
Please join in prayer for our new Pope, so that a good shepherd guides his sheep along the path of peace and unity.
In the above picture: His Holiness Francisco, celebrating Mass in the Basilica of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Buenos Aires, when he was Archbishop of Buenos Aires, along with Blessed Sacrament Fathers Carlos P. Gerk, sss, and Robert Biale, sss.
750TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE MIRACLE OF BOLSENA
Vatican Philatelic and Numismatic Office
- According to tradition, during the summer of 1263 a Bohemian priest by the name of Peter went on a pilgrimage to Rome in order to confront the doubts he was having about his faith and the resulting crisis in his vocation. His faith was renewed after praying at the tomb of the apostle Peter. During his journey home, he happened to celebrate Mass in the Church of Santa Cristinain Bolsena. During the liturgy of the Eucharist, the host miraculously began to bleed. The priest was profoundly perplexed and immediately wrapped the host in the corporal and sacred linens before leaving the sanctuary. Coming to terms with what he had witnessed, he went to Orvieto where Pope Urban IV was residing and he told him about the incident. In order to investigate the matter further, the Pope immediately sent Bishop Giacomo to the place of the event. When he returned, the relics of the miracle were carried in procession by the entire papal court throughout the streets of the city, where thousands of the faithful had gathered.
Tied to these miraculous events is also the construction of the Duomo of Orvieto where the corporal stained with blood is kept. On 11 August 1264 the miracle was officially recognized by Pope Urban IV with the bull “Transiturus de hoc mundo”, promulgated in Orvieto. A detail of a work by Raffaello Sanzio, known as the “Mass of Bolsena” (Stanze of Raphael, Vatican Museums), is reproduced on the postal minisheet which commemorates the 750 years since this miraculous event.